Equine Specialist in Mental Health & Learning Certification
Work alongside mental health and education professionals to ensure the equine’s safety.
A PATH Intl. Equine Specialist in Mental Health and Learning ensures the safety and well-being of the equine participating in mental health or equine-assisted learning sessions and serves as the equine expert during equine-human interactions. The ESMHL works alongside a mental health professional or educator in typically unmounted activities.
Steps to Certification
- You must be 21 years of age or older
- Read the PATH Intl. Equine Specialist in Mental Health and Learning Certification Program Handbook in it’s entirety to be sure you understand the purpose, all the requirements and all the fees before purchasing the application or registering for an event.
- Create a portal and purchase a PATH Intl. Professional Level Membership
- Purchase PATH Intl. ESMHL Application and Student Manual
- Submit proof of current adult and child CPR and first aid certifications (100% online courses are acceptable)
- Complete online PATH Intl. Standards Course and Exam (valid for 1 year)
- Complete online EFMHA History Video
- Attend a PATH Intl. on-site Equine Specialist in Mental Health and Learning workshop (valid for 2 years)
- Complete horsemanship skills test (score valid 2 years)
Submit Portfolio with:
- Proof of current PATH Intl. Membership
- Proof of current adult & child CPR and first aid certifications
- Copy of PATH Intl. on-site ESMHL workshop certificate of completion (max of 2 years old)
- Copy of PATH Intl. Horsemanship Skills Test certificate (max of 2 years old)
- Signed PATH Intl. Certified Professional Code of Ethics
- References from a Mental Health or Learning Professional and an Equine Professional
- Documentation of 20 hours of education in equine behavior and management
- Documentation of 60 total hours of experience at a PATH Intl Center or under the supervision of a PATH Intl Certified Professional in Equine Facilitate Psychotherapy sessions or Equine Assisted Learning Sessions OR 30 hours of experience at a PATH Intl Center or under the supervision of a PATH Intl Certified Professional in any Equine Assisted Services session, as well as, 30 hours of experience in a mental health or special education field
Upon acceptance of portfolio:
- Complete the Equine Specialist in Mental Health and Learning exam
ESMHL Certification Program Handbook
ESMHL Criteria Booklet
PATH Intl. Professional Code of Ethics
Licensed professional counselor and PATH Intl. Certified Therapeutic Riding Instructor
Questions? We are here to help.
Send us your name, email address and message about the PATH Intl. ESMHL credential below and we’ll respond as soon as possible.
We all know how horses can create spaces where participants can feel listened to, safe and calm. Seeing how transforming this can be for so many individuals who are hurting has propelled me even further in my own personal journey.